If you have a room or basement in your home that you’re not fully utilizing, you’re missing out on one of the best parts of being a homeowner – re-purposing space! Below are a few ideas to get your mind working on the endless possibilities your space can be converted into.
Movie Theater: If you love going to the movies, why not bring the theater home? Remember to consider the following elements when designing a home movie theater:
- Entertainment System: The focus of your theater room will be the entertainment system, so invest in an awesome television set or projector system. Avoid displaying the TV or screen where there might be a significant glare from the window. Then, figure out whether you want to utilize cable, internet streaming, or a DVD player to watch your entertainment.
- Lighting: You’ll want to provide ample lighting throughout the space to utilize when you aren’t viewing films. Incorporate light dimmers into the décor for a true movie theater effect.
- Paint: The experts at CertaPro Painters of Morristown recommend using rich colors, like shades of navy, eggplant, or gray. The contrast will help the glowing picture from the screen show better.
- Decorative Accents: Add a bit of fun to you homemade theater with a popcorn maker, candy counter and a mini fridge for those inevitable snack cravings during showings.
Game Room: Whether you play pool, air hockey, darts, poker, or video games, you can create an awesome gaming room in your underutilized space.This space is the perfect idea for kids of all ages, and families of any size. Incorporating a game room into your home provides you with a perfect space to host parties or relax on the weekends. Consider decorative aspects, such as:
- Gaming & Activities: Before you install a massive pool table, make sure you have room for all of the other games you want to incorporate! Pool tables can also double as an air hockey table. Look into these options to save on space.
- Entertainment System: TV or Projector? Make sure you plan the setup accordingly.
- Ample Storage: Ensure you have enough closet, drawer, or shelving space to store all of your games and gaming equipment.
Arts & Crafts Room: If you’re a craft-er, an arts and crafts room is a great way to organize all of your supplies and keep them in one area of the house. This will enable you to get the creative juices flowing! Some things to consider when setting up this space include:
- Workspace: It’s best if you have something that can accommodate any realistic size project you can throw at it.
- Separation: If you dabble in various types of arts and crafts, you should consider dividing the room into different station areas so you don’t something like glitter where you don’t want it.
- Comfort: A comfortable chair will allow you to work longer and not put strain on your back.
- Plenty of Storage: Cube storage, shelves with storage containers or plastic stacked storage units will do wonders to keep you organized. Consider using storage items that allows you to see through them like glass jars or transparent plastic – it’ll make finding things a lot easier.
- Lighting: It’s important to make sure you have enough light. This will help you see the colors you’re working with clearly, as well as the tools your using and the finished project!
- Add Inspiration: A cork-board is a good way to show what you’re working on at the moment and to keep your current projects organized.
No matter what route you take, don’t let a vacant space in your home go to waste!