As I approach a quarter of a century in the real estate industry, I’m thinking about how blessed I am to have met so many wonderful and productive agents and brokers through the years.
What I’ve come to realize is that every single one of those who excel in real estate have certain traits that, when practiced daily, can’t help but succeed. And, the most beautiful part? These traits can be taught. That’s why I love my job of being a coach so much. Every day I get to jump out of bed and help put people on the path to riches in real estate.
So let’s get on with it. Highly successful Realtors are:
1. Masters of time management. Without fail, every great agent I’ve met understood – with crystal clarity – the value of time. And to prove it, they all developed what I like to call the ideal daily schedule. They knew instantly what tasks yielded the most return on investment of their time. It sounds simple, but the majority of agents don’t do this.
2. Self-disciplined and self-managed. All the best agents know this fact: If you’re not leading your own life, someone else will lead it for you. Then, they asked themselves who they aspired to be, a top producer or an average agent? Of course they answered top producer. Then, they exercised their self-discipline to remain focused and to make their aspiration happen.
3. Able to connect with people. The best agents knew from their very start in real estate that it was a people business. It’s always been true and always will be – no matter how much technology enters the picture. These people can build relationships from the second the sun rises till it sets and in the dark of night, too.
4. Believes that there’s always a better way. The best are never satisfied with the status quo. They’re voracious seekers of innovation. They know they can’t reach a new level of productivity by doing the same old things. They’re not afraid to experiment and explore new territory. Lewis and Clark would have never reached the Pacific Ocean if they were fearful of forging forward into the unknown.
5. Insatiable learners. They’re always, and I mean always, willing to learn more about their profession. They understand the reason clients come to them is because of their knowledge. That’s especially true today when information is at the fingertips of anyone with internet access. Pledge right now to be an insatiable learner and continue to educate yourself — to be a student of real estate. Attend conferences, continuing education classes. And poke your head outside of the industry and see what you can learn by looking at other professions and what you might borrow. Of course I’d be remiss in not suggesting you hire a coach who can hold you accountable and who can add fresh new perspectives. Sports stars have coaches for a reason – they can lead you in the right direction.
I’ll end by saying that I can share these and many other helpful attributes all day long, but what it really comes down to is you and your willingness to explore how you’re going to implement them into your daily life. Thoughts require action. Take the time to plan what kind of agent you want to be – average or amazing.
If you said amazing, let me hear from you. How many of these traits do you have? How many do you lack? Do you believe you can begin to incorporate them into your life and work? Will you commit today to add them to your life and work?
Bob Corcoran, national speaker and author, is founder of Corcoran Consulting Inc. (800-957-8353), an international consulting and coaching company specializing in performance coaching and implementing sound business systems into residential brokers’ existing practices. Contact Bob at “Article at CorcoranCoaching dot com”.